A place I go to waste time and put off actually WRITING movie scripts. Join me.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Story is a metaphor for life. - McKee.

"Has Robert McKee saved my life?"

This is the question I found myself addressing earlier this week. Of course, I'm not talking about the silver-haired guru sky-diving from his private plane to perform an emergency tracheotomy on me with a two-and-a-half inch ACCO brad as I choke on a bagel. No, I'm talking about something far more important than that.

But first some background. Even though I've been writing for a few years I first read his book Story only a couple of years ago. If you don't know it, it's an imposing tome some 466-pages long (and that's little type, too!) and it's not something to be taken lightly. Check out the reader reviews at Amazon to see how many human beings have been crushed by its intellectual weight.

Anyway, the first time I read it I was in a bit of a funny place... emotionally. It rang true in a number of ways and I felt I'd taken from it some good advice and ignored some of the more complex stuff. Upon finishing I closed it, put it in my 'writing' bookshelf and got on with my feature rewrite. Deep down, I was intimidated. The act of creating a "good story, well told" in McKee's eyes is akin to building a replica of Neuschwanstein Castle out of individual grains of sand. It really is like atomic physics.

Since reading it, these notable things have happened:

1: I finished my rewrite, and think I improved upon the previous draft.

2: Progress is being made on production of a short animation script I wrote a while back.

3: I made the top 20% cut in the script call for Channel 9's upcoming two Twisted.

4: I wrote a half-hour script for an upcoming Channel 31 series, Raw, but didn't make it to final selection.

5: I prepped a poker-based comedy for a couple of months, then recently abandoned it.

All in all, a somewhat mixed bag. So what's my point?

Well, nothing new that I have written since reading McKee's book has felt like my writing, and not one single word typed since then has actually been fun. The two Twisted script worked (to a point) and I was pleased to have made it that far. The script for Raw was more play-like than screenplay-like and didn't fit the series. The producer told me they had found some "strong stories". Mine wasn't one of them. That's fine.

"It seems like he's ruined your life, not saved it!" many of you are probably thinking. Not true. It was the act of going back to Story again in the light of my most recent failure that made me realise what I had been doing. Or, more specifically, what I had been doing wrong. (Warning! Cliche Alert!)

I have always prided myself on been true to myself in everything I do. And in my writing I had been doing that. Notice the past tense: had. My writing post-Story had become self-conscious and overly thought-out. And I'd stopped enjoying it. That was the kicker. I actually once said to Amy, my partner, "Of course it matters if it doesn't get made! What am I doing it for if that doesn't happen?", and I believed it. As much as a writer would love to see their work produced, that should never be the motivation. I am lucky enough now to be in the position of writing something I care about, something I have infused with my spirit.

The magic of Story is that when you are mature enough to shoulder the responsibility, McKee teaches you to write the stories that are in you, irrespective of how big (or small) and how commercial (or anti-commercial) they are. He gives you the tools to create your story. He is a supporter of nothing other than great work and for that, I thank him.

J.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing better in life than to see a human being grow and develop through self reflection. The ability to take one step back is often necessary to take two steps forward (and no I DO NOT mean Paula Abdul style)

I once read a great story where I did feel the spirit infused into it and the message they wanted to share with the reader and it reflects everything James is talking about. The story WAS in the person who wrote it. I was able to connect with another beings creation through words on a page that altered/shared an attitude and perception I had of life.

And how I got onto this story was actually recommended by a wise person I once crossed paths with who clarified a word so overly used and its meaning often mistaken...
… Responsibility

Responsibility: is your Ability to Respond to a situation or event based on using your current skills, knowledge and experience.


I believe you have always had the tools (Responsibility) James of being a great story writer, someone just showed them to you and fittingly enough, through someone else’s story, Mckee.

“The magic of Story is that when you are mature enough to shoulder the responsibility”

To be able to take that step back is a sign of maturity, to be able to believe in yourself and your capabilities is not maturity… it is greatness.

Well done for reconnecting yourself with your passion James… It had in fact never left you as you cant lose what you already have. :)

Dan

11:27 PM

 
Blogger James said...

Thanks mate. Self-reflection is a wonderful thing. Everyone should try it!

J.

11:05 PM

 
Blogger M said...

I think Dan should get his own blog...such profound thoughts! And I'm loving your blog James! I eagerly await the writing tutorials...so that I too can exploit you for all that you are worth with my media students...did I say that out loud?

9:48 AM

 
Blogger Konrad West said...

The first storytelling/writing book I ever read was Joseph Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces, which, simply put, blew me away.

Though tt was written in the 1940's, its analysis of classic stories and religious epics is second to none.

When I ready Story a couple of weeks later, I couldn't help but be unimpressed.

Sure, McKee has some gems in there, but he repeats himself so much I think he could have expressed them in a good 150 pages.

I'd always recommend Story to any aspiring writer, but I think it's definitely overrated.

9:36 AM

 
Blogger James said...

Over-rated? I'd have to disagree. There seems to be as many people out there that are anti-McKee as there are pro him.

McKee is able to put into words so much stuff that a skilled screenwriter does unconsciously. That's a great skill. The fact that you can take however much you like from it at whatever stage you are at in your writing makes it, in my eyes, indispensible.

J.

9:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently attended McKee's STORY seminar in Los Angeles and to prepare, I reread the book just to be fresh and "hopefully" get a real handle on the information.

Little did I know that McKee has completely memorized his book. Even the jokes and asides that "seemed" spontaneous are in the book.

I even purchased his audio book on tape since the car I rented actually had a combo tape/CD player.

Again, straight from the book which was to be expected but I thought I was listening to the seminar all over again until nobody laughed at the punchlines.

There is much to be learned about stories from reading STORY but not as much about actually writing a screenplay. Don't get me wrong. Every screenwriter should have his book as a reference and peruse it before a rewrite but I've found THE TOOLS OF SCREENWRITING to be much more useful.

And cheaper.

Unk

3:36 PM

 
Blogger James said...

Thanks for the tip, Unk.

So, when are you gonna spill the beans on your recent spec sale? Can't you just throw a little hope our way?

J.

10:50 PM

 
Blogger James said...

I guess it's horses for courses, SD.

McKee seems to provoke my creativity simply because his way is quite "formulaic". By nature (I'm a Pisces) I find it troublesome to get a grip on that structural base, especially when starting out on something new. McKee's advice makes creating that foundation a lot easier.

J.

11:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen Adaptation? McKee does a cameo, and the two main characters are both screenwriters debating the merits/perils of listening to McKee. Brilliant movie.

I say, do whatever you find helps. Sometimes McKee helps unblock something, sometimes I turn to a different guru.

1:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home